Feel free to subscribe via RSS. Everything posted here should be sent automatically to the course mailing list.
soldering your slider
I wanted to do a better video than this, but it turns out better videos take more time. So, you get a quick video where the audio didn't work.
It's OK, the replacement audio is probably better anyway.
lava lamp lab, readings
I've encouraged you to be reading the Pountain. I'll be more explicit.
- Read the introduction (pages 2 - 8)
- Chapter 2 through page 20 covers syntaxes we have seen (PAR, SEQ, WHILE), but should help reinforce them for you.
- Pages 21 - 24 introduce conditional constructs: IF and ALT. We will be starting with ALT this week; reading about it may help.
- Pages 27 and 28 cover basic arithmetic and logic operations.
- Page 29 covers type conversions.
- 30 - 34 talks more about PROCs.
- Chapter 3 is about arrays. Not critical at this time, but it's also a short chapter.
- Chapter 4 is about channels. Good reading.
- Chapter 7 is about time. Very handy, knowing how to work with time.
- Chapter 8 will never matter to you, because you will probably never have an array of Transputers.
- Chapter 9 is really interesting reading from a pattern perspective.
I would get through #6 this next week (if you haven't already), and get through chapters 3, 4, and 7 before the end of the next week.
The current lab is now posted (lava lamp π).
I think the current lab might take two weeks. I'd love it if it took one week. (Due a week from Monday, that is.) We'll do a checkup at the end of the week; treat lab time this week as an excellent time to be discussing questions regarding this lab with me and your peers.
Lecture will continue with the Client/Server and Multiplexer patterns, and we'll end this week with a discussion of the Simpson et. al. paper on the subsumption architecture.
I've posted a lab regarding this week's work. It asks you to work through the first three chapters of the book with your newly built Freeduino.
In other words, the lab is to build your computer and get a small start on occam-π. We'll be doing more interesting things with our Freeduinos next week. I'm kinda excited (and have a bit of writing to do).
Extended Soldering FunTimes™
Sunday I'll be in the lab from 2PM to 7PM. I recommend this as an excellent time for Continued Soldering Excitement™.
Erik will be hosting Additional Soldering GoodTimes™ Monday from 8PM to 10PM.
If I plan on being in on Saturday, I will post/email that as well.
practice, board build
Tomorrow Wednesday we'll start board builds. If you could please bring in your lab fee, I'd feel better about releasing a board to you. I think I'm willing to withhold a board unless you've spoken with me prior to lab.
I recommend watching these videos if you haven't already. I've mentioned them before, I'm fairly certain.
If you swing by Alden this evening between now and 10:00, you can do a bit more soldering practice if you like. Erik has the all-powerful key.