After studying our results yesterday and reading a Graph Crossover Article to better our understanding of the process we are trying to make, we decided to calculate our minimum score’s a different way!
Our new calculations consisted of taking the minimum score over every robot generated so far. For example, if we were looking at all twenty robots in each generation up to generation 5, we would take the single minimum score out of the 100 robots seen so far. With these new minimum calculations, we were able to produce the following graph:
This was the graph we produced for a Mutation Rate of 5, having a population of 12 and 20 generations ran. The light blue line, labeled as WallBrain in the key, was our minimum guideline we were following. The unseen scores were produced by a hard-coded robot we new worked. The time alloted for each robot was one minute. After looking at the graph, we saw that for the fifth experiment ran with a Mutation Rate of 5, that there were some robots below the minimum guideline score! We were able to see that the lowest score produced out of all of our runs (even other mutation rates of 10, 15, and mutating only one thing at at time) was 0.77749997377396.
We traced this score back to see that it came from the fifth robot in generation eighteen. Then, we looked back and produced the following directed chart to see what our robots brain looked like!
This robots brain is very simple, but our smartest one yet! It covered the most amount of space in one minute. If there was an above threshold of 1.229, then the robot would slightly turn right. It appears that the robot bounced around our arena, successfully covering the most space we have seen yet!